Combining two British classics, the scone and a hot cross bun. This recipe from Sarah’s Slice is simple yet delicious and perfect for Easter weekend.
• Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade (200C Fan) or
Gas Mark 7
• In a large bowl weigh out the self raising flour, baking powder
• Rub the butter into the flour until you have a texture of
• Add the sugar, mixed fruit and spice,
• In a measuring jug put the buttermilk and egg and lightly whisk
with a fork.
• Add 3/4 of milk mixture into the dry ingredients and bring together
with your hands. Add the remaining milk mixture until
the dough comes together and slightly sticky.
• Tip the dough onto a lightly floured bench and roll out gently
or flatten with your hands to about 2cm thick then cut out
with a 6 cm cutter. Re-roll and cut out until all the dough is
used. I usually get 6 scones from this mix.
• Make the cross by mixing the flour and water to a smooth
dough. Roll out and cut strips with a knife or pizza wheel.
• Place scones on greased baking tray and brush with milk or
any egg mixture that is left. Lay the crosses on the top of the
scones and brush with more egg/ milk.
• Bake for 12-14 minutes.