- 500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 15g baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g salted butter, diced
- 250ml milk
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 227g pot of Rodda’s Cornish clotted cream
- 200g good-quality strawberry jam (preferably homemade)
Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Using just your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it is no longer visible. Add the milk and mix well. Once it starts to come together, turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently until it forms a smooth, soft dough.
Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 2.5 cm thick and cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush the tops of the scones twice with the beaten egg.
Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. Do not over-bake them or they will be dry. Serve warm with the Rodda’s Cornish clotted cream and strawberry jam.